A hot cup of cappuccino is a favorite pick-me-up for many. Its smoky aroma and the carefully set foam on the brink of the cup call out for a quick sip that makes you feel instantly energized, set into the mood and charged up. As a coffee lover, you may think you know everything about it but that may not be the case. A new variety of coffee has been creating a lot of buzzes and if you happened to have missed it, we’ll update you all about it. Green coffee beans are seeds of the coffee fruits that are not roasted, unlike regular coffee. These coffee beans have a higher amount of chlorogenic acid which is believed to have numerous health benefits. The amount of this compound reduces as you roast the coffee beans to make them into what we generally consume.
According to Dr. Simran Saini from Fortis Hospital, “Chlorogenic acid in green coffee acts as an antioxidant. It helps in controlling high blood pressure, aids weight loss and maintains blood sugar levels in the body.”
Green coffee has particularly become popular for its weight loss benefits just like green tea. This light-colored brew that is enjoyed without milk or sugar and has a very mild flavor is known to help you lose weight in many ways. A study published in the Indian Journal of Innovative Research and Development (IJIRD) indicates that the miracle active ingredient called chlorogenic acid found in green coffee helps in weight loss. Since the beans are not roasted the compound retains its potent properties that benefit the body. It helps in melting the unwanted fat and thus, aids weight loss. Not just that, here are five amazing weight loss benefits of drinking green coffee regularly you may have not known.
The craze for green coffee is increasing amongst people day by day after hoards of commercials about it on the internet and television. But what exactly is green coffee?
Green coffee is unroasted coffee beans that grow on the coffee plant, called Coffea Arabica. These unroasted coffee beans are rich sources of antioxidants and thus have a lot of benefits when compared to the normal roasted coffee beans.
How Can Green Coffee Beans Benefit Your Health?
1. Can Help You With Weight Loss: Studies show that green coffee bean extract (GCBE) can help fight obesity by lowering the accumulation of body fat. In obese mice that were fed a high-fat diet, the green coffee bean extract had significantly lowered body weight gain.
Another study quoted the possibility of using GCE as a weight loss supplement as promising. Though more research is needed to label GCE as a powerful weight-loss tool, this is an encouraging step.
2. Can Aid Diabetes Treatment: The chlorogenic acid in green coffee beans was found to affect blood glucose levels. In the study, participants who received a high dose of GCE (400 mg) saw the biggest drop in blood glucose levels.
Daily intake of three to four cups of decaffeinated coffee with high chlorogenic acid content was found to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes by 30%. Chlorogenic acid also stimulates insulin secretion and has been often described as a potential anti-diabetic agent.
3. Regulate Blood Pressure: Intake of GCE in hypertensive rats showed a reduction in their blood pressure levels. Similar results were observed in humans too – where blood pressure levels in the human participants reduced during the ingestion period of GCE . Chlorogenic acid inhibits the formation of active cortisol, which is a hormone known to increase blood pressure levels. Consumption of green coffee also improves arterial elasticity, thereby lowering blood pressure levels.
4. Offer Anti-Aging Benefits: Green coffee beans are replete with antioxidants and offer excellent anti-aging effects. The chlorogenic acid in the seeds was found to improve skin properties and microcirculatory function in humans. Ingestion of the beans decreased skin dryness and transepidermal water loss and improved skin surface pH levels. Consuming chlorogenic acid for eight weeks also improved skin hydration.
These are the most important benefits of green coffee beans. There are a few other benefits – although they have insufficient medical backing. Hence, we suggest you speak to your doctor before using green coffee beans for the below-mentioned benefits.
5. May Help Boost Focus And Mood: Green coffee beans do contain some caffeine. Sources suggest that caffeine, in general, can improve mental health by boosting mood, attention, memory, and alertness. We don’t have research stating that the caffeine in green coffee beans may have similar effects as the content is relatively low compared to regular coffee. Also, certain individuals may react differently to caffeine. If you have had issues with caffeine before, please consult your doctor before using green coffee beans. There is one study that shows that green coffee bean extract can have neuroprotective effects on patients with Alzheimer’s disease. However, more research is needed in this regard.
6. May Enhance Energy Levels : This again has got to do with the little caffeine in green coffee beans. Caffeine is found to boost energy levels and even enhance athletic performance.
7. Green coffee beans are high in antioxidants: That can reduce the harmful effects of radicals in our body.
8. Green coffee contains Chlorogenic Acid: That can increase the metabolic rate from 3% to 11% and can ensure faster weight reduction.
9. Green coffee can control unnecessary food cravings: It can stop us from overeating.
10. Green coffee lowers high sugar levels in blood : It can result in controlling Type 2 Diabetes.
11. Green coffee is a natural detox : That cleanses the liver; making it free from toxins, bad cholesterols, unnecessary fats and so on.
12. Green coffee has high levels: Volatile materials that can maintain healthy skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
13. Green coffee antioxidants: If taken regularly, can help make hair stronger, healthier and beautiful.
14. Green coffee contains fatty acids : It nourishes skin and heals it from severe damages.
15. Consuming green coffee regularly can reduce the level of ‘bad cholesterol’ in our body.
16. Green coffee is also known to be a great way to naturally cure dull and acne-prone skin.
How To Make Green Coffee
Preparing green coffee is quite simple. Use green coffee beans (instead of powder) for best results.
Add 10 grams (1 ½ tablespoon) of the beans to a pot (ensure you rinse them beforehand) and transfer it to a stove.
Add two cups of water and bring to a boil.
Simmer for about 10 minutes on medium-high heat.
Strain the extract into a container (using a fine mesh strainer). The strainer would filter out the beans. You can store them in a sealable bag in a refrigerator. Use them once again within a week and discard them.
Enjoy your green coffee!
You may also go for green coffee capsules (Pick your pack here). Each green coffee capsule can contain 20 to 50 mg of caffeine – although the dosage may vary as per the brand. Up to 400 mg of caffeine could be safe for most people – ensure you don’t go overboard.
If you are using green coffee beans, do check the packaging for the caffeine content. Keep the dosage in mind.
1. Green coffee beans are high in antioxidants that can reduce the harmful effects of radicals in our body.
2. Green coffee contains Chlorogenic Acid that can increase the metabolic rate from 3% to 11% and can ensure faster weight reduction.
When is the best time to have green coffee?
The best time to have green coffee is right after your meals. This is because after eating your blood sugar levels generally spike up due to the consumption of carbohydrates or proteins. The excess sugar generated when food is broken down during digestion is stored as fat in the body. Drinking green coffee helps in maintaining blood sugar levels and prevents sudden spikes. It will also help you stay energetic for a longer period.
You can find green coffee in powdered form that just needs to be mixed with hot water and is ready to be consumed. It is usually enjoyed on its own without any additions but you may add a dash of honey or a sprinkle of cinnamon. Green coffee may benefit your weight loss routine in many ways but it cannot help you lose weight all by itself. A good weight loss plan needs to be a mix of a balanced diet and regular exercise but green coffee can definitely play a great supporting role and help you reach your goals.